Friday, March 27, 2020

Another MDF Building

My second MDF building project was the cleverly named Small Business 01 by 3D DZYN.  The company popped up in a discussion on Lead Adventure and I quickly placed an order.  The choice of what to buy was limited by the fact that there were only a few kits available and this was one of the only ones with a photo of the product.

I was pleasantly surprised by what arrived.  The kit was quite small, with minimal extra wooden sprue material.  The paint was far darker than it appeared on the website.  It did come with a selection of precut signs to hang on the facade.


After giving the interior walls a quick shot of flat white spray paint to make the interior appear more finished, I set about assembling the kit.



While it's not a large structure, I was stunned by how fast and easily it went together.  It felt like the tolerances between parts were just a touch more forgiving than the 4Ground kit, resulting in a build with no need for trimming and sanding.

I touched up the exposed edges with Vallejo paints, washed the roof with thinned Citadel Dryad Bark, and called it a day.  The whole thing took less than four hours, painting and drying time included. 



While I like the kit a great deal, I would have liked to have a boardwalk included.  Additionally, the tiny lettering on the sign was a pain to paint.  Finally, I would have preferred to have only the facade painted.  As it is, it looks a bit too civilized.  If these quibbles seem really minor, it's because they are.  The model is a little gem and at $20, a good deal.

One thing to note is that it is small.  The comparison photo with the 4Ground building should clarify just how small.  There's nothing wrong with that, and I like a variety of building sizes, but it won't take up much space on your board.


No comments:

Post a Comment